Canada is one of the most well-liked study abroad destinations in the world. The number of international students in the nation increases yearly, reaching over 300.000 in 2023, thanks to its renowned colleges, rich culture, and hospitable people. In addition, Canada ranks third after the United States and the United Kingdom in the number of Master’s and Bachelor’s programs available to international students.
Even though Canada is a friendly place, there are some regulations that any student who comes to study there must follow. Moreover, The easiest method to make sure everything goes smoothly before you leave home is to be aware of the requirements for obtaining a study permit from the local government if you intend to stay for more than six months.
Steps For How To Apply for Student Visa In Canada
Here are the Steps For How To Apply for Student Visa In Canada
1. Receive an acceptance letter from a Canadian university
Start by reading this article about affordable master’s programs in Canada to get some ideas, then check out our suggestions to see if you can find something that works for you.
Before beginning your application for a Canadian student visa, you must apply to and be accepted into a Canadian university. Your preferred university must be a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), which is a college authorized by the territorial government to receive overseas students, for you to qualify for a student visa.
The duration of your student visa may vary depending on the terms outlined in your admission letter. Your visa would be valid for the period of these preparatory courses plus one year if you received a conditional offer, which means you must complete additional procedures before beginning your primary program. You’ll have to apply for a new visa after this one expires.
2. Check if you require a student visa
Everyone does not require a student visa, and according to agreements between Canada and several nations, students are free from needing permission. By completing a brief questionnaire with specific information about your circumstance, you can determine whether you will require a study permit for your time in Canada.
In short, you don’t require a Canadian study permit if:
- Firstly, Your course of study lasts up to six months.
- Secondly, You belong to the household or work for a foreign official recognized by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
- Thirdly, You are on official business in Canada as an overseas military force member.
- You are an Indian with a Registered Status in Canada.
- As a temporary resident and refugee seeker, you are enrolling in French language and culture classes in Quebec.
- If none of the above limitations apply to you, go ahead and begin the study permit application process.
3. Prepare all documents
Before beginning your online application, gather all the documentation needed for your permit. The Canadian government states that you will require the following:
- Your letter of acceptance from a DLI, either in hard copy or electronically.
- A valid passport or another travel document, along with two recent passport-sized pictures, serves as proof of identification.
- Evidence that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies (at least $10,000 CAD per year of study, or enough to cover your tuition and living expenses).
- A letter outlining your justifications for coming to Canada to study and confirming that you are aware of your obligations as an international student.
- A CAQ (Certificate of Acceptance from Québec) if you intend to study there.
- If you are younger than 17 years of age, a Custodian Declaration.
- The confirmation of your $150 CAD study permit purchase.
4. Start your application
Once you have all the necessary documentation, including your DLI acceptance letter, you can begin your online study permit application. When submitting your application, you must:
- Read the instruction manual to ensure you are familiar with the procedure’s steps.
- Make an online account, sign in, and use it to pay fees, submit applications, and monitor the progress of those applications.
- Fill out the forms online with your full name, address, background, and education information.
- Upload the necessary paperwork (admission letter, identity, financial evidence, letter of justification, etc.).
- After the application, pay your fees.
- Check your application status frequently for modifications or additional requests.
The procedure for obtaining a student visa for Canada does not always include interviews. However, you might be invited in for an interview based on how the officer evaluates your application. In this scenario, a letter with the interview date, time, and location will be sent to you.
Your student visa will be valid for the length of your studies plus 90 additional days if your application is accepted. If you want to stay longer, you can use this extra time to be ready to leave Canada or to request a visa extension.
Also Read: What Is The PTE Reading Test Format And Exam Pattern?
5. Submit biometric data and pass a medical examination
Suppose you are applying from outside Canada and have never provided your biometrics. It would help if you went to an official Visa Application Center to get your fingerprints and photo scanned. In addition to the $150 CAN study permit price, you must pay an additional $85 CAN fee and make an appointment at an approved biometric collecting facility.
You might be excluded from this requirement in certain circumstances. You can quickly fill out a questionnaire to confirm whether or not you must provide biometrics when you apply.
To complete their application, citizens of some nations will also need to submit the results of a medical examination performed by a doctor on an approved panel.
6. Start early. It takes months to get your study visa
The Canadian government estimates that processing your study visa application could take up to 13 weeks. So be sure to start your application procedure four to six months before your trip and allow for the waiting period.
Your visa’s processing time will vary depending on several factors. These variables include the application type (online or on paper), whether you sent all the necessary documents, how simple it is for them to check your information, or how quickly you respond to any queries from them.
7. Prove your command of English
When requesting a study permit in the usual stream, you are not needed to present documentation of your proficiency in English. However, you must demonstrate your English language skills to Canadian universities. This requirement applies only to you if you have earned a degree from an English-speaking nation.
A certificate from an acceptable language competence test must be submitted if you are from a non-English speaking nation. Check the page for your program before choosing which test to take because each university and program has different minimum score requirements.
The most widely used tests are:
- Cambridge C1 Advanced
- IELTS Academic,
- TOEFL IBT
- PTE Academic
Choose Your Platform to Apply for Student Visa In Canada
These are the two methods exist for How To Apply for Student Visa In Canada:
- Apply online:
To apply online, you need a scanner or camera to scan your papers into an electronic format for uploading, as well as a working credit card to cover the application fee. At the local Visa Application Center, a finger scan will still be required from you (VAC).
Keep in mind that you would also need to visit the VFS offices to submit your passports and the proof for your fee payment if you filed an online application. The only difference between the processes would be the paperwork you need to provide to the VAC.
- Submit a paper application:
Read the user manual and purchase the application kit. Important details about study permits are provided in the instruction manual, along with instructions on how to complete your application. Use the document checklist and thoroughly read the instruction manual. You may only submit a paper application if both of the following apply:
Firstly, If your impairment prohibits you from submitting an online application. Secondly, If you possess an identity or travel document for a refugee, stateless, or non-citizen.
To sum up, In this blog, we discussed How To Apply for Student Visa In Canada. Also, we discussed the steps for applying for a study visa in Canada. In addition, we want to say that getting a study visa is very difficult. Also, you have to clear the English proficiency test with a good score. In addition, you also have the proper documents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How much does a Canadian student visa application cost?
The cost of a student visa for Canada is 150 Canadian dollars, or roughly INR 8946. It should be noted that this is based on the current exchange rate, which is subject to change after a few days.
Q2. Can you get a student visa easily in Canada?
If you receive an acceptance letter from a Canadian college, you might think that the challenging part is over. But the truth is that it can be much harder to get a study permit for Canada than you might think. About 30% of all applications for study permits are turned down, according to figures from the IRCC.
1 thought on “How To Apply for Student Visa In Canada?”
Pingback: How To Book PTE Exam In Nepal - 6 Simple Steps